[MITgcm-support] non-hydrostatic momentum budget

杨智斌 853245241 at qq.com
Mon Oct 15 02:54:15 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Sorry to disturb you. Recently I am running a non-hydrostatic model using MITgcm and I want to use the model output to diagnose the momentum budget. From MITgcm-support, I found some similar questions about this. With the help of these answers, I tried to solve this question. BUT there is still something missing.

I will write my budget formula first. To simplify, The formula is in u-direction.
    (1) The left term is TOTUTEND/86400 which is du/dt (m/s^2).
    (2)There are four terms in the right. (Pressure term / Dissipation term / Advection term / AB_gu term)

         The Pressure term can be calculated as Um_dPHdx-d(PHI_SURF+PHI_NH)/dx. I am not sure if there is something wrong in this term.
         The Dissipation term can be calculated as Um_Diss+d(VISrI_Um/(RAC*hFacC))/dz. I use Implicit vertical viscosity.
         The Advection term is Um_Advec. I don't use CD-Scheme.
         The last term is AB_gu. Usually it's small.

I am not sure if my formula is right. Could give me some advices? Any suggestion would be welcome.
Thank you for your attention to this matter, and thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards.
Yang Zhibin