[MITgcm-support] [MITgcm support] the pressure on the wall

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Wed Nov 7 10:29:36 EST 2018

Hello

I could be wrong here…

The pressure exerted on the wall is equal and opposite to the pressure the wall exerts on the fluid. So the pressure on the west cell minus the east cell will tell you the pressure exerted on the wall. Some considerations
1) The pressure on the edge cells is calculated in the middle of the cell. You likely want to extrapolate to the edge of the cell
2) There is ambiguity about if this pressure gradient can be attributed to forcing on the east wall or west wall. If your fluid is quiescent to the east, its likely safe to assume its pushing on the west. But you still need to consider the pressure on the east wall to get the gradient, especially since this is a buossinesq model

-Matt