[MITgcm-support] Combining tracers for use in BLING

Andrew Twelves agt_94 at hotmail.co.uk
Mon May 28 06:56:52 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I have a question to do with the interface between BLING and the PTRACERS package:

I want to use two separate iron tracers in my model with different source terms but with the same chemistry.  I know that by default BLING reads in eight(or nine with plankton advected) tracers and assumes these correspond to DIC, alkalinity etc. in that order; however I thought it might be possible to simply combine the two iron tracers together before sending the sum to BLING, and then take this output from BLING calculations and redistribute it between the pools before the next time step.

As I try and work this out, is there anyone who has tried something similar or who could tell me where exactly the physical tracers from PTRACERS are assigned to the biogeochemical ones in BLING?

Many thanks,

Andrew Twelves

University of Edinburgh