[MITgcm-support] Tidal flow over topography

subhajit kar subhajitkar19 at gmail.com
Tue May 8 09:22:57 EDT 2018

Thank you Martin. The problem has now been resolved.

The problem I have been trying to model is tidal flow over a 3-D Gaussian
topography.

I have been modeling tidal flow as -  *u = u0*sin(omega*t) - c/H*etaN *in
the western boundary. Here, *u0*, *omega*, *c* and *H* are constant and
*etaN* is the free-surface elevation.

To model this I have modified the *obcs_calc.F* in *pkg/mypackage* module.

However, *etaN* variable is defined in *DYNVARS.h *and while including this
library I am getting errors

Real*8  uVel (1-OLx:sNx+OLx,1-OLy:sNy+OLy,Nr,nSx,nSy)
                  1
Error: COMMON attribute conflicts with DUMMY attribute in ‘uvel’ at (1)
obcs_calc.f:3154:18:

       Real*8  vVel (1-OLx:sNx+OLx,1-OLy:sNy+OLy,Nr,nSx,nSy)
                  1
Error: COMMON attribute conflicts with DUMMY attribute in ‘vvel’ at (1)
obcs_calc.f:3155:18:

       Real*8  wVel (1-OLx:sNx+OLx,1-OLy:sNy+OLy,Nr,nSx,nSy)
                  1
Error: COMMON attribute conflicts with DUMMY attribute in ‘wvel’ at (1)

While not included, I am getting -  *etaN* has no implicit type.

Is there anything wrong I am doing and also how to get rid of it.

Thanks,
Subhajit Kar