[MITgcm-support] parameters in obcs sponge layer

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Wed Mar 21 13:10:10 EDT 2018

> On 21 Mar 2018, at 09:49, Yangxin He <y67he at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi Jody,
>
> Sorry, I wasn't clear. Yes, I did mean a mode-1 internal tide coded in obcs_calc.F.
> For the obcs_sponge.F, I deleted the part that has the western/left boundary sponge, so this way I only have sponge on the eastern/right boundary.
>
> I see in your data.obcs, you only got 10 points in the sponge. thats amazing. I am gonna try a much smaller time scale and 100 sponge points to see what happens.
> If this doesn't work, I will try reducing the the grid size in the sponge. Just to clarify, I can read in a grid with stretched grid sizes near the right boundary and I don't need another package to do this, right?

Well, be a little careful, that setup has the sponge turned off.  But yes, I do get away with 10-15 points or so because my sponge ends up > 300 km because I’ve really stretched those distant points.  You need to do the grid stretching slowly so there aren’t any reflections from gridsize mismatches.  I think I do something like 1%-2% stretching rate (i.e. dxnext = dxprev * 1.01).  Much of this happens before the sponge.

Cheers,  Jody

> Thanks
>
> Yangxin

Jody Klymak