[MITgcm-support] Can't replicate verification/global_oce_cs32/ad.sens

Christopher Pitt Wolfe c.l.p.wolfe at icloud.com
Wed Jun 27 11:51:58 EDT 2018

Hi All:

I’m trying to replicate Gael’s global_oce_cs32/ad.sens verification example that makes use of the generic cost and control packages.

I followed the instructions at https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ocean_state_est/ocean_state_est.html#test-cases-for-estimation-package-capabilities <https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ocean_state_est/ocean_state_est.html#test-cases-for-estimation-package-capabilities>, compiled (using TAF) and ran the ad.sens case, and compared my output to that given in results/output_adm.sens.txt. While there are some differences related to the different model versions (66c for the included results compared to my 67b setup), most of the AD results are similar to within a couple of decimal places. The only weird thing in my case is that all the salt sensitivities are ZERO: all the ad_dynstat_adsalt fields are zero and the ADJsalt files are zeros. The adxx_salt file is written, but is zeros as well. I have verified that salinity is specifically included as a generic control in data.ctrl and the xx_salt file is written at the beginning of the forward run, so I’m stumped.

This case is run as part of the daily testreport cases and appears to pass on glacier, but I can’t find any STDOUT files to check if the salt sensitivities remain nonzero.

I’m not sure where to look for the source of the problem, so any advice would be appreciated. If anyone has a recent STDOUT file from this test case, I’d be interested in that as well.

Thanks!
Christopher

Christopher L. Pitt Wolfe
Assistant Professor
School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
Stony Brook University
christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu <mailto:christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu>             631-632-3152