[MITgcm-support] Student with a question/issue with the KPP package

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Jun 21 05:09:20 EDT 2018

Hi Taylor,

I would use the diagnostic MXLDEPTH, which independently of KPP computes some kind of MLD based on a density difference criterion. I am actually not sure if it does so also in offline simulations.

I thought that in offline simulations, KPP is basically passive and you need to provide (KPP) mixing coefficients along with your 3D flow field. I had a quick look at
MITgcm/verification/tutorial_cfc_offline/
(which does not use KPP) and there it seems that the GM-coefficents and some Convective adjustment parameter are given to the offline model. I assume that this is the same for KPP. There’s also code to compute KPP coefficients (diffKzS and ghat) from fields that are read.

Martin