[MITgcm-support] Extracting the non-Ekman component of vertical velocity

Uchida Takaya tu2140 at columbia.edu
Mon Jul 30 22:27:20 EDT 2018

Dear MITgcm support.

I currently have the outputs for a flat-bottom zonally re-entrant channel model. Since it's a flat bottom, the vertical velocity at the bottom should be zero.
The issue I’m facing is that MITgcm only outputs the vertical velocity down until to the grid point right above the very bottom, which has relatively large root-mean square values (figure attached below for a snapshot of the vertical velocity).
My current guess is that the vertical velocity goes to zero at the bottom in the calculation from Ekman contributions. Is there a simple and numerically consistent way to parse out the non-Ekman component of vertical velocity?

Thank you very much for your support in advance.

Best,
Takaya
———————
PhD Candidate
Physical Oceanography
Columbia University in the City of New York
https://roxyboy.github.io/