[MITgcm-support] Updated Question: ISOMIP Boundary Condition Setup

Yilang Xu yxu at whoi.edu
Mon Jul 30 01:41:27 EDT 2018

Hi,

Let me update my previous question to make it more specific. For ISOMIP exp1, based on the model setup, outputs and Losch (2008) paper, I assume that the original setup of the boundary conditions in the verification/isomip/input is: (Correct me if anything is wrong)

Top (if there is open water area): Free surface, set up by rigidLid=.FALSE., implicitFreeSurface=.TRUE., in data file

Bottom: Free-slip, set up by no_slip_bottom=.FALSE., in data file

The lateral B.C.s: Closed walls and free-slip, set up by no_slip_sides=.FALSE., in data file

However, I notice that in gendata.m file, the south and west lateral boundaries have additional treatment as follows:

bathy = ones(nx,ny)*H;

bathy(1,:) = 0;

bathy(:,1) = 0;

Hence, the south and west boundaries are marked as land or solid boundaries by setting bathymetry=0, while the north and east do not have this treatment.

Initially, I thought this was unnecessary because the lateral boundaries are already closed and free-slip, but if I remove this treatment, the code blows up.

Therefore, I am wondering why we need this special treatment for the south and west B.C.s, which turns out to be very important. Meanwhile, appreciate it if anyone could help me to check my statement of B.C. setup.

Thanks,

Yilang