[MITgcm-support] How to diagnose the diapycnal diffusivity?

yzb 853245241 at qq.com
Mon Jul 16 08:50:45 EDT 2018

Thank you!

From:  "qianyk"<qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn>;
Date:  Mon, Jul 16, 2018 08:39 PM
To:  "mitgcm-support"<mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org>;

Subject:  Re: [MITgcm-support] How to diagnose the diapycnal diffusivity?

Hi Yang,

So far as I know, GM parameterization is an adiabatic scheme, which means that this parameterization do not change water properties (e.g., density).  You can read their paper in 1995 which showed that GM scheme is effectively an advection rather than diffuion.  So neither GM90 nor GM_VisbK (Visbeck et al. 1997) is diapycnal.

In MITgcm, diagnosing diapycnal diffusion is not straightforward as it is a z-coordinate model.  But you can use the resorting method by Griffies et al. (2000) to diagnose the 'effective' diapycnal diffusivity.  Effective means those processes act to homogenize water density, such as the explicit diapycnal diffusivity you set in the model (diffKr), spurious numerical diffusivity associated with advection scheme, those caused by other parameterizations (e.g., KPP, tidal mixing) etc.

You can refer to Griffies's paper for details.  Hope this helps.

Visbeck, M., J. Marshall, and T. Haine, 1997: Specification of Eddy Transfer Coefficients in Coarse-Resolution Ocean Circulation Models. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 27, 381-402.

------------------
 Best regards

Yu-Kun Qian (钱钰坤)
Center for Monsoon and Environment Research
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences
School of Environmental Science and Engineering
 Sun Yat-sen University
No. 135 Xingang West Road, Haizhu District
Guangzhou, 510275, P.R. China
Tel; 020-84115227
Email: qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn