[MITgcm-support] How to diagnose the diapycnal diffusivity?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Jul 16 08:20:28 EDT 2018

As far as I know, the parameters \kappa_{\rho} and \kappa_{GM} are constant parameters that you specify in data.gmredi (from GMREDI.h:
C     GM_isopycK       :: Isopycnal diffusivity [m^2/s] (Redi-tensor)
C     GM_background_K  :: Thickness diffusivity [m^2/s] (GM bolus transport)
). You  can have variable \kappa_{GM} (documentation: <https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/phys_pkgs/gmredi.html#variable> ), but you need to turn it on explicitly with the appropriate CPP- and runtime-flags, and then GM_VisbK is the approriate diagnostics for this particular version of variable \kappa_{GM}.
In recent code, there are all sorts of other options that I am not familiar with, but they maybe worth exploring.

Martin