[MITgcm-support] Time stepping for momentum and tracers

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Dec 20 04:14:04 EST 2018

Hi Uchida,

in the simplest case you just set deltaT to your timestep in seconds and this value is copied to all other deltaT’s

The other parameters (deltaTmom, deltaTtracer, deltaTclock, deltaTfreesurf) can be set separately if you want to use the tracer acceleration method of Bryan (1984 not sure about the year). In this method, which strictly should only be used for spinups, the tracer time step is made longer than the momentum time step (because stability allows a longer timestep for tracer than momentum), but this has the cos of distorted physics, slowed down waves, reduced seasonal cycle (refer to the literature, I found Danabasoglu 2004, Ocean Modelling interesting). The larger the ratio deltaTtracer/deltaTmom, the worse the situation. In the verification directory you’ll find a few examples how to do it most efficiently, e.g. global_ocean.cs32x15:

 deltaTMom   =1200.,
 deltaTtracer=86400.,
 deltaTFreeSurf=86400.,
 deltaTClock =86400.,

This means that only the momentum equations are stepped with 20min, the rest with one day, and also the model time (deltaTclock) follows the “fast” tracers. The problem is easly visible, when you consider that in the equations the momentum tendency is Gu*deltaTmom, which is 72 time smaller than it should be.

Martin