[MITgcm-support] is Orlanski radiation condition working in the rotating rank of MITgcm?

Yi-Chih Huang dscpln at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 13:28:45 EST 2018

Martin,

    Thanks much for the reply.  The .png picture is a vertical cross
section.  The initial temperature field is cold blubs at the top.  Suddenly
high-temperature disturbances occur around the lateral boundary in every
simulation with different grids of .bin data with which I have worked.
Thus, I believe something wrong with the lateral b.c.  If the setup for
Orlanski b.c. is right, why would the temperature patterns be the same in
two different b.c.?

    I turned off centrifugal force by setting amplCF=0.0 in data.  The cold
blubs are only testing simulations.

    I am new to MITgcm and would like to know about the relationship
between radius and grid information.  Do you think the given rSphere
or radius_fromHorizGrid
in the data file would change the grid information in CS, LLC, or the
curvilinear coordinates when OLD_GRID_IO is set in CPP_OPTIONS.h?
Certainly, I will try the Cartesian coordinates you suggested.

    Many thanks,

                Yi-Chih