[MITgcm-support] numerical noise with CFL<0.02

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Dec 3 12:17:54 EST 2018

Hi Antoine,

there are more stability criteria than just the advective CFL number. See the tutorials for some examples, e.g. here: <https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples/barotropic_gyre/barotropic_gyre.html#numerical-stability-criteria>

I would always use viscAhGrid instead of vischAh. With values < 1 (I usually use something around 0.1 as a first guess) you’ll make sure that you don’t violate any stability criterion there. (see pkg/mom_common/mom_calc_visc.F or documentation for details)

Also try a smaller ivdc_kappa (order 1-10 maybe) to see if that helps.

What type of noise do you see? Stationary fields? Does it increase with time? In the horizontal velocity fields (on C-grids at coarse resolution you’ll always see some of that, can be suppressed by biharmonic viscosity e.g. with viscA4grid = 0.1)? Or in the tracer fields?

Martin