[MITgcm-support] restart simulations using pickup files

kaveh Purkiani kavehpurkiani at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 3 08:34:32 EST 2018

Hi,
I am trying to run a simulation (with a total length of 2 days) using a
restart file after the first day. The model is forced laterally by U, V,
Temp and Salt.
The only modifications I did are renaming the pickup files and changing the
nIter0 to the proper number to be able to start the simulation of the
second day. The model works well with no error message but, the results are
surprising to me.
In the attached figure, two simulations for v component velocity for the
same location are shown (red: with restart and black: normal run without
restarting). On the first day, they are identical and they should continue
the same but, the red line (run using restart files) starts deviating right
after applying the pickup files.
>From comparing the simulations it seems to me that model reads the pickup
file properly, but the forcing is different.
Similar differences are seen in other properties e.g., Temp, Sal and U
component.

I've done different tests to figure out where does this error come from but
no success.
Here is the PARAM3 in the data and everything else remains exactly similar
for these two simulations!

 &PARM03
 nIter0=7200, ----> 86400/12
 baseTime=0.,