[MITgcm-support] cosPower with GMRedi and Leith viscosity

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Apr 26 11:39:26 EDT 2018

Hi Kaitlin,

I haven’t looked into this in a long time, but as far as I remember all of the ISOTROPIC_COS_SCALING business is related lat-long grids and has been superseded by scaled horizontal viscosity parameters. In the current model/inc/CPP_OPTIONS.h these CPP flags are marked as “Retired”. Here’s the comment for ISOTROPIC_COS_SCALING in CPP_OPTIONS.h
C o ALLOW isotropic scaling of harmonic and bi-harmonic terms when
C   using an locally isotropic spherical grid with (dlambda) x (dphi*cos(phi))
C *only for use on a lat-lon grid*
C   Setting this flag here affects both momentum and tracer equation unless
C   it is set/unset again in other header fields (e.g., GAD_OPTIONS.h).
C   The definition of the flag is commented to avoid interference with
C   such other header files.
C   The preferred method is specifying a value for viscAhGrid or viscA4Grid
C   in data which is then automatically scaled by the grid size;
C   the old method of specifying viscAh/viscA4 and this flag is provided
C   for completeness only (and for use with the adjoint).

So you are doing fine for viscosity (with Leith, which scales by grid size just as viscAhGrid). At higher resolution I would use the biharmonic versions. Be aware that Leith will sometimes give you very small viscosities so that you may want to add some minimum viscosities on top of that. See the headder of pkg/mom_common/mom_calc_visc.F for a quick summary of the options.

For tracers, this option can still be used, but with GMREDI you probably have diffKhT and diff KhS = 0 anyway. In the gmredi-code, the CPP-flags and cosFacU/V never appear.

I think that your vertical diffusivities are maybe a little large. I’d use 1e-5.

Martin