[MITgcm-support] setting up with RBCS package

Yangxin He y67he at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Apr 3 14:21:48 EDT 2018

Hello there,

Here is the model I want to set up:

Assume I have nx=3000 pt, ny=50 pt, nz=50 pt. From xx=1 to 409 pt, I want to set up a layer of stretch grid to damp out any reflections coming from the right. From xx=2501 to 3000 pt, I will also set up a layer of stretch grid. I have rigid lid at the top and no slip at the bottom. The domain where all the physics comes from is in xx=500 to 2500 pt. These can be done by initializing the grid at the start and it is not a problem.

Now I want to force a mode-one internal wave at xx=500 pt so that the waves propagate to the right into the domain. Since the forcing is not at the boundary, OBCS does not seem to be the right tool so I took a look at the RBCS package, which got me quite confused.

Here are my questions:

1) I checked the exp4 in the MITgcm verification folder and also a sample code from Jody. It seems that as long as RBCS is used, OBCS is also used. Do they have to go together or is this an coincidence? Why?

2) In my head, I thought setting my routine using RBCS would be similar to use OBCS prescribe except telling the model which location I want the force to turn on. But after reading the MITgcm documentation, the RBCS package seems much more complicated. From my understanding,

2.1) M_rbc / \tau_T acts like a ramp up function? Any specific rules to pick these numbers or just something slow and smooth will do?

2.2) T/U/V_rbc is the T/U/V I want to force at the location? So T_rbc is a function of (x,y,z,t), which means the relaxTFile is a matrix of (:,:,:,:)?

3) If anyone has any simple codes/files set up similar to my case and are willing to share with me, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Yangxin