[MITgcm-support] questions about non-hydrostiatic module

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at mit.edu
Thu Sep 21 18:50:03 EDT 2017

Hi Pengyang,

Regarding question 1, I think a "Delta t" is missing there.
Thanks for pointing to this.
But probably better to keep u**, v** & w** (not wrong) to remain
closer to what is done in the code.

And regarding question 2, the fluid is incompressible, so the
continuity equation has to be satisfied as well as the prognostic equation for w(n+1).
In the analytical form, the system of equations guarantees both.
And indeed, when/if the solver converges perfectly, the two equations
give the same answer.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel