[MITgcm-support] heat and salt budget with nonlinear free surface

Cerovecki, Ivana icerovecki at ucsd.edu
Mon Oct 2 20:54:48 EDT 2017

Hi guys,

We are trying to close heat and salt budget for a run with nonlinear free surface. I was able
to close budgets with linear free surface, using diagnostics as described in:

http://wwwcvs.mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm/doc/Heat_Salt_Budget_MITgcm.pdf?view=co&revision=1.1

However, I am not able to close the budgets with nonlinear free surface. In old mitgcm-support emails I found
Martha's comment:
>The TOTTEND term only works with a linear free surface.  Otherwise, you
>should output snapshots of ETAN and THETA and use these to calculate the
>tendency term yourself.
>Martha

So, this is one difference. What else is different? Looking at Abhisek and Jean-Michel's document
it is clear that with linear free surface one needs to use "Surf_corr_tend":

Surf_corr_tend = (tsurfcor- WTHMASS(ix,iy)) / (DRF(1) * hFacC(ix,iy,1))

What is the case with nonlinear free surface? Do I need such a correction with nonlinear free surface?

I would very much appreciate your help,
many thanks,
Ivana