[MITgcm-support] On the calculation of heat budget

whale 250107302 at qq.com
Fri Nov 17 00:48:09 EST 2017

Dear friends,

I am focusing on the heat budget analysis recently. I have read a brief report entitled ‘Heat and salt budget in MITgcm’ written by Chakraborty and Jean-Michel. Four parameters in PARM01 in "data" file has been listed as follows:

(1) implicitFreeSurface=.TRUE., (default configuration)

(2) nonlinFreeSurf=0, (default)

(3) useRealFreshWaterFlux=.FALSE., (default)

(4) linFSConserveTr = .TRUE.,

Unfortunately, the last one linFSConserveTr is set as .FALSE. by default, and I have not changed it in my current case. This parameter ‘linFSConserveTr’ seems to work when I calculated the term of ‘Tendency of mass correction at the surface’, i.e., the calculation of the term ‘tsurfcor’.

However, I also saw an annotation below the equation in the report as follows:

Where tsurfcor = SUM(WTHMASS * RAC) / globalArea

‘if using linFSConserveTr = .TRUE., and =0 otherwise.’

So, I guess that I still could calculated the heat budget, although I have set linFSConserveTr = .FALSE. What I need to do is just make the tsurfcor=0 in my calculation. The question is that I am not sure if my guessing is right or wrong.

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Cheers

Chengyan