[MITgcm-support] Non-Zero Meridional Velocity Kelvin Wave

Bertrand Louis Rene Delorme bdelorme at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 16 15:20:59 EST 2017

Thank you again, Yu-Kun, for your precious help.

I just checked the model output after the first time-step at t1 (where t0=initial conditions)., and right at t1 v is nonzero.

In the v-momentum equation, the 3 diagnostics terms that I found to be nonzero at t1 are:

-          AB_gV (~10^-12)

-          Vm_Advec — which is exactly equal to Vm_Cori — (~10^-9)

-          Vm_dPHdy (~10^-9)
I also computed separately the surface pressure horizontal gradient (which is ~10^-8) using the relation:
Vm_dPHdy_Surf = - gravity * ( Eta(i) - Eta(i-1) ) / dyC
The other terms (Vm_Diss and Vm_Ext) are equal to zero.

In the Kelvin wave case, I would expect Vm_Cori and Vm_dPHdy+ Vm_dPHdy_Surf to balance each other perfectly.
Yet, as you can see in the plots enclosed to this email, their spatial structures are very different.
The shape of the Coriolis term looks consistent with the prescribed U velocity at t0.
And from the plot of V at t1, it seems that it is the quantity accelerating a flow in the meridional direction.
Surprisingly, it seems that even if Vm_Cori and Vm_dPHdy are the same magnitude, Vm_dPHdy has no influence on V.
The second problematic thing is the fact that the baroclinic pressure gradient seems to have a different vertical
wavelength than the temperature anomaly that I prescribe at t=0 (see also enclosed).
Yet, this gradient should depend only on that quantity right (I do not prescribe any S values)?

Please let me know what your thoughts are at the view of this plot.

Best regards,
Bertrand