[MITgcm-support] Orlanski vs sponge obcs in ocean modelling

Yangxin He y67he at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 15 11:10:29 EST 2017

Hey there,

I am forcing internal waves from the west boundary, and I want no reflection from the east boundary.

1) Which boundary condition will be better for me? Orlanski or sponge?

2) About the Orlanski BC, the original Orlanski bc, which he proposed in 1976, have problems when waves approach the boundary with an angle. Later in 1984, Raymond and Kuo improved the original Orlanski BC so that the improved bc can account for waves from all directions.  The question is, which one does MITgcm implement? the original or the improved Orlanski BC?

Thanks

Yangxin