[MITgcm-support] sponge package in OBCS in ocean modeling

Yangxin He y67he at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 9 13:50:59 EST 2017

Hi,

I am using OBCS package to send in a mode-1 internal wave from the left/western boundary, and I want to add a sponge layer only at the right/eastern boundary. I have used rigid lid for my surface/northern boundary and no slip for the bottom/southern boundary. I have set useOBCSsponge=.TRUE. in data.obcs.

My questions are about setting the sponge layer.

1)

There is a routine "obcs_sponge.F" under pkg/obcs. Is this the only routine I need to add in to my model code for the sponge layer?

2)

Since I only need sponge layer for the eastern boundary, if I erase everything about the other 3 boundaries in the obcs_sponge.F, will it work?

3)

I would like to understand the theory behind this sponge layer. Can you provide a reference/paper etc. that the code in obcs_sponge.F is based on?

Thanks a lot

Yangxin