[MITgcm-support] KPP vertical diffusivity values

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon May 29 03:32:01 EDT 2017

Hi Hadar,

values >1m^2/s are OK in convection.

KPP is a complicated beast. I suggest that you read Large et al 1994 to understand how it works.

The main routines are in collected in kpp_routines.F.
First STATEKPP computes buoyancy gradients and expansion/contraction coefficients etc
CALC_3D_DIFFUSIVITY only computes the background kappa (which can contain many things not related to KPP, in Large et al 1994 this would be just a constant representing internal wave mixing etc. in the quiescient ocean interior)
KPPMIX then computes the KPP-mixing coefficients for the actively mixing layer.

Martin