[MITgcm-support] PH and PHRefC

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Sat May 27 15:52:08 EDT 2017

Hi Ryan,

> On May 26, 2017, at  17:08 PM, Ryan Abernathey <ryan.abernathey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Very useful! Thanks for sharing Jody!

Yes, well it took me a couple of hours, so I thought I could share, since others have asked over the years.  Its pretty hard to parse with all the IF statements, and calls to different routines.  I guess when something is as capable as the MITgcm it gets complicated!

> Once I figured this out and wrote it down so I would remember it:
> PHRefC = gravity * rhoref * RC[k]

I don’t think it has any rhoref in it.  Its just phiRef[k] = gravity* RC[k].  From `set_ref_state.F` I think its just:

```fortran
  	phiRef(1)   = top_Pres*recip_rhoConst
        pRefLocF(1) = top_Pres
        IF ( gravityFile.EQ.' ' ) THEN
         DO k=1,Nr
          phiRef(2*k)   = phiRef(1)
     &                  + (rC(k) - rF(1))*gravity*gravitySign
          phiRef(2*k+1) = phiRef(1)
     &                  + (rF(k+1)-rF(1))*gravity*gravitySign
```

…but maybe I misread one of the switches.  What mystifies me is the use of this variable, and why we’d want to write it to `PHRefC.data`, except maybe to tell us what `top_Pres` is?

Cheers,   Jody