[MITgcm-support] Off line particle tracking with MITgcm

Andrea Cimatoribus andrea.cimatoribus at epfl.ch
Thu May 4 05:57:20 EDT 2017

A final message on this for future reference.

The simple particle tracking code I developed, partly deriving it form
tracmass, is freely available at:

  https://c4science.ch/diffusion/3351/

The code does 3D particle tracking (off line) based on MITgcm results in
cartesian and curvilinear grids. It runs in parallel (multithreaded),
and stores the results in netcdf4.

For those interested, the code is written in python, with numerical
parts in C via cython. I am testing it and can reproduce tracmass
results (apart from some bugs I spotted in the 3D tracmass
computations). Bugs may still be present in particular in untested parts
of the code (e.g. cartesian grids), but I would be surprised if there
were any major one. I/O could probably be improved in terms of
efficiency, and is not fully tested, but it seems to deal fine with
O(10^5) particle at least.

If you ever use the code, please let me know. Any other feedback is of
course welcome too.

Best,

Andrea Cimatoribus
postdoctoral researcher