[MITgcm-support] Silly question about pkg/diagnostics

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Wed May 3 11:50:06 EDT 2017

If one year were an exact multiple of three months, then the yearly average
would be exactly the same using both methods.

A "month" is unfortunately not a well-defined unit of time. Unless you
define a month as 365/12 days, then you will get a slight discrepancy
between a full yearly average the average of four three-month periods.

Many models have a feature to save averages in true calendar months (i.e.
January = 31 days, February = 28 days, etc.). In this case, a yearly
average would be an exact average of 12 months. As far as I know, MITgcm
does not support this. (But it should!)

Cheers,
Ryan