[MITgcm-support] Strange U-velocity and V-velocity on North, East

Camille Mazoyer mazoyer at univ-tln.fr
Fri Mar 17 05:53:27 EDT 2017

Dear all,

I'm wondering if my OBCs are well imposed. Could you advice me about it.
In attach, u and v surface velocity  and surface temperature for a given
time. I also give you the depth in my area, so you can have an idea of
the masks variables.

The OBC are only in South and West, as you can see on the depth file.

My grid is NX:200, NY: 100, NZ:75. In data.obcs, I write OB_Jsouth =
200*1 and OB_Iwest = 100*1, so I imposed on OBC also on land. I know
this is not the best way, but I had problems to impose it correctly. So
I thought they won't be fluxes on land thanks to the mask vairables, and
I will be ok like this. Do you think It's ok?

   1 # Open-boundaries
     2  &OBCS_PARM01
     3
     4  OBCSfixTopo=.TRUE.,
     5  OB_Jsouth = 200*1,
     6  OB_Iwest = 100*1,
     7
     8  useOBCSprescribe = .TRUE.,
     9  useOBCSsponge = .TRUE.,
    10
    16  useOBCSbalance = .TRUE.,
    18  OBCS_balanceFacW =1,
    19  OBCS_balanceFacS =1,
    20

However, I have a strange velocities behaviour. In attached, you can see
surface velocities for a given time. I see an east zonal velocity on
land and I don't explain it. It's the same behaviour for meridional
north velocity. Does anyone have an idea about what's going on?

Just to be sure, could you confirm it:

- in my case, dimensions binaries files for West OBC are NY x Nz x
NTIMES for all variables

- in my case, dimensions binaries files for South OBC are NX x Nz x
NTIMES for all variables

As the velocities are staggered, as you said this week in
http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2017-March/010924.html, I
imposed for Western boundary (NY x Nz x NTIMES) arrays:

U(i=2,j=1:NY,k=1:NZ)

V(i=1,j=2:NY+1,k=1:NZ)

Temp, Sal (i=1,j=1:NY,k=1:NZ)

Thanks for your help,

Camille

Camille Mazoyer
Phd Student
Mediterranean Institute of Oceanography (MIO)
Institut de Mathématiques de Toulon (IMATH)
Université de TOULON
Bat X - CS 60584
83041 TOULON cedex 9
France