[MITgcm-support] How to choose obc balance coefficients?

Camille Mazoyer mazoyer at univ-tln.fr
Tue Mar 14 08:42:10 EDT 2017

Dear all,

I have questions about the OBC balance term, and maybe somebody can
answer me here. I have other questions, but I think I'm going to write
other mails, to seperate questions.

I'm not sure about the balance coefficient I should use for my OBC: I
have 2 OBC (south and West). Other boundaries are land. I'm working on a
small scale area (200 Nx, 100 Ny, 75 Nz with a grid of 100m scale ).
Could you correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understand about the
balance coefficient is:

- the higher it is, the bigger is the correction

- so if I am confident about the South OBC values I give,  and not
confident about the West values I give: I should give a small coeff like
1 for south, and a bigger coeff like 2, 3, 4 or more (?) for west OBC.
That means OBC South will be less changed than West OBC to ensure zero
net transport. Usually, we give a small coeff for an OBC where we we
know the values, and we want to set the values, and a big coeff for an
OBC where we don't care if the flow is adjusted. Is that correct?

So if I'm not sure about one OBC more than the other,  I can have
coeff=1 for both.

My last question: to sum up, how to choose coefficients?

Thanks a lot,

Camille

Camille Mazoyer
Phd Student
Mediterranean Institute of Oceanography (MIO)
Institut de Mathématiques de Toulon (IMATH)
Université de TOULON
Bat X - CS 60584
83041 TOULON cedex 9
France