[MITgcm-support] Question about bin files

Martin Losch martin.losch at awi.de
Wed Mar 8 05:11:29 EST 2017

Hi Xing (and Jody),

Jody is right: there are actually 12 “monthly” mean 3D fields in lev_t.bin and lev_s.bin, however, only the first one is  used for initialization and you really need the rbcs package for 3D restoring. The relaxation parameters in data only refer to the surface fields in lev_sst.bin and lev_sss.bin.

I also think that this is how the file size of 2952000 bytes comes about:
there are 12 records, each 90x40x15 in size = 648000 “words” or numbers. 2592000/648000 = 4 (not 8), so that each word or number has 4 bytes. This is single precision (real*4 in fortran) and in fact,  readBinaryPrec=32, is set accordingly in the first namelist in data. For the surface relaxation fields lev_sst.bin and lev_sss.bin it’s totally analogous with filesize 172800/90/40/12 = 4 bytes for each number/word.

Martin