[MITgcm-support] Question about bin files

Lu, Xing xlu at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue Mar 7 22:17:51 EST 2017

Hi All,

I’m having a question about bin files as initial conditions. I’m trying to write my own initial S and T files for tutorial_global_oce_latlon, so I read lev_s.bin first and tried to see how it looks. I think it should be having a size of 90x40x15=54000. However, its size is 2592000, which equals to 90x40x15x48. I’m not sure what does that 48 represent. I also tried to read lev_sss.bin and hoping its size is 90x40=3600 but instead it has a size of 172800=90x40x48. I think I must missed something. Does anyone know how to interpret the sizes of those bin files?

Thanks!
Xing