[MITgcm-support] [mitgcm-support] Questions about modification of heat budget

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Jun 19 03:21:18 EDT 2017

Hi,
I am not if I am getting this right, but “hflux” is the net upward heat flux including the shortwave heat flux. So it does not matter, what size swflux (the upward shortwave heat flux, i.e. “light”), because the model is driven by hflux. swflux is only used when shortwave radiation is meant to penetrate the ocean, e.g. for KPP, in which case the heat flux is partitioned between hflux-swflux (applied at the surface) and swflux (allowed to penetrate the ocean a little). Have a look at EXF_FIELDS.h for a definition of the fields

So if you think that you surface heat flux is the problem, then you have to make sure that mean over time and space of hflux = 0. I suspect (as you do) that your open boundaries are also important. There is no code to balance the fluxes there, but you can estimate the heat flux by computing c_p*rho*theta*(normal velocity) at the boundary (so what you specify).

Martin