[MITgcm-support] On the calculation of the volume conservation from the output of a regional model

michael schaferkotter schaferk at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 14 08:54:08 EDT 2017

On 6/13/17 4:31 PM, whale wrote:

> If the volume in this water column is conservative, the result of this
> equation should be 0. However, it is not. I always got a volume
> residual value at ~0.01.

there is no reason to assume that volume is conserved in the single cell
for which the calculation is made.

the calculations are correct.

> If I chose to calculate a relative larger region, the residual value
> will also increase and I will get a very large value at last.

Not necessarily. perhaps yes for your particular example.

> So, my questions are
>
> Whether the equation of my calculation is right or wrong?
>
> If my equation is right, where will the residual volume goes?
>
> Will the residual volume contribute to the changes of ETAN or
> something else?

yes.

do the same calculation for the boundary of your domain and use the
divergence theorem to calculate the expected sea surface height.

michael