[MITgcm-support] nTimeStep

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Wed Jun 7 12:26:19 EDT 2017

9 times out of 10 you will get this if deltaT is too large.  Look for
`advcfl_*_max` in `STDOUT.0000`.  They should be less than one, and
preferably less than 0.5. A couple of things to be aware of

   1. setting `hFacMin` to be too small value can mean your vertical
cell is very small, and the
[CFL](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courant–Friedrichs–Lewy_condition)
condition becomes impossible to meet.  `hFacMin` is the fraction of `dR`
that a cell is allowed to be near the bottom, so `dR=10` m and
`hFacMin=0.1` means the cell can be as thin as 1 m. If your `deltaT=50`
then `W` can’t exceed 2 cm/s in that cell.  If the topography is steep
that is not a gigantic value for `W` near topography.
   2. you may have strong start-up transients in your solution that make
the model behave more violently at the start than after it has been
allowed to evolve.  So check `STDOUT.0000` and if the CFL criteria
starts to drop again, you may be able to restart with a smaller deltaT.

Good luck,  Jody