[MITgcm-support] non-hydrostatic momentum budget

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at mit.edu
Thu Jul 27 16:24:24 EDT 2017

Hi Andrea,

There is one thing that I forgot but just came back to my mind yesterday:
you could try to compute the pressure gradient using diagnostic PHI_SURF
(instead of gravity*ETAN), PHI_NH (as you did) and Um_dPHdx,Vm_dPHdy.

When using: exactConserv=.TRUE., etaN is (re-)computed from the vertically
integrated continuity eq. and this could introduce differences in the momentum
budget:
1) if a large solver tolerance is used and the 2-D solver convergence is poor.
2) when filters (Shapiro, Fourier) are used after solve_for_pressure
 (e.g., shap_filt_uvStar=.FALSE.,)
3) in Non-Hydrostatic simulation: In this case, the separation between surface
  pressure and NH pressure is not made clearly; the sum of two is correct (i.e.,
  PHI_SURF + PHI_NH ) and gravity*ETAN should represent the free-surface contribution
  but there is no reason for PHI_NH to be just the NH pressure (free of
  any surface contribution).

At some point, I tried to separate the 2 contributions (zeroPsNH=True
 in solve_for_pressure.F) but it did not work well, partly because
changing the initial guess for the 3-D solver was slowing down the convergence.
So at the end, zeroPsNH=F is hard-coded.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel