[MITgcm-support] RBCS, OBCS and IC grid

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Jul 17 04:27:53 EDT 2017

Hi Bertrand,

as far as I know, you need to specify the fields on their respective grids, i.e. U field on U-grid, V field on V-grid, and T/S on center points (pressure points).

This is definitely true for initial conditions (if you specify any U/V-fields, but then they need to be very consistent with the density/T/S fields for the model not to blow up due to strong initial adjustment processes).

For OBCS, it’s also true, but probably only relevant for the tangential velocities (unless you have a bathymetry gradient across your open boundary, which I would not reccommend)

For RBCS, it is also true and I am surprised that the model blows up when you do it that way. Possibly there are some zero velocities near the boundaries giving rise to large gradients?

Martin