[MITgcm-support] sea ice stresses multiplied by concentration or not?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Aug 30 04:10:47 EDT 2017

Hi Georgy,

you are right, by default, the model does not multiply the interfacial stresses by the concentration. I implemented this, following Connelly etal (2004), a while ago (in doc/tag-index it is first mentioned for checkpoint65o, 2015/09/14) and tried to find out how big the implied difference is. My quick and dirty tests suggest that for pan-Arctic simulations, this extra scaling, which I agree is the consistent way of doing it, does not have such a large effect, also I started to have issues with the solvers, so I decided to not change the default back then. Maybe not the best idea, but the sea ice model is full of unfortunate defaults that can be traced back to legacy code that we inherited. Changing the defaults means modifying all verification experiments and is great source of error so our general policy is to maintain old results as long as they are not totally wrong. I agree that it may be time to revisit the seaice-defaults again. This is yet another example, that the MITgcm cannot be used as a black box, whether you like it or not. As a “quick fix” we should have an experiement that uses this functionality. I’ll think about that.

This parameter turns on the functionality you want: SEAICEscaleSurfStress=.TRUE.,
I promise to document this sooner or later, but currently it does not make too much sense, as the entire system is undergoing a trasition that I would rather wait for. In fact, once we

Martni