[MITgcm-support] The criteria of cg3dMaxIters

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Tue Aug 15 12:42:22 EDT 2017

On 15 Aug 2017, at 9:29, Saeid Esmaeilpour wrote:

> Jody,
> my model is about The simulation of currents Circulation from surface
> depth in indian Ocean,  and I selected  nonHydrostatic=.TRUE., cause I
> think the model resolve the Nonlinear terms with nonHydrastatic=True
> (am I
> wrong ?).  If I select nonHydrastatic=True, in this case how much
> should I
> set for cg3MaxIters? and If select nonHydrastatic=False, how much for
> that?
> basically for the simulation of currents Circulation and at 2-degree I
> have
> to take non Hydraustatic=false?

`nonHydrostatic=.True.` solves the non-hydrostatic equation for dw/dt,
which essentially means the pressure needs to be determined globally
from a Poisson equation, and hence the 3-D solver. `.False.` means that
pressure is solved using the hydrostatic approximation (if you don’t
know what this is, Google plus a basic GFD course would help).

This really has nothing to do with non-linearity until you start
resolving scales where the hydrostatic approximation breaks down
(basically dw/dt is no longer << rho’g / rho_0).

You really only need non-hydrostatic approximation for fine-scale runs
looking at internal waves, dense overflows, convection, or other
turbulent phenomena.  None of which will show up at 2-degree resolution.

Cheers,   Jody