[MITgcm-support] Selecting advection scheme

Edward W Doddridge ewd at mit.edu
Mon Aug 14 11:39:17 EDT 2017

Hi Saeid,

I’m moving this to its own thread, since your question is unrelated to the subject of the email.

The advection scheme is selected based on the numerical argument you provide as `tempAdvScheme`  or `saltAdvScheme` in your data file. For example, to use the Prather (1986) scheme you would have

 tempAdvScheme=80,
 saltAdvScheme=80,

in `data`.

There is documentation of the different advection schemes here<http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node72.html> and here<http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node77.html>. A table showing the numerical values you need to enter to select each advection scheme is here<http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node82.html>.

Cheers,
Ed

Edward Doddridge
Postdoctoral researcher
Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

www.doddridge.me<http://www.doddridge.me>