[MITgcm-support] Tidal data

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Thu Aug 3 14:09:36 EDT 2017

On 3 Aug 2017, at 10:50, rahele shafiee wrote:

> Hello to everyone
>
> I would like to give my model the tidal amplitude and phase inthe open
> boundaries. How do I introduce these numbers to my model?
>
> Can I give surface elevation (ETA) tothe model instead of the
> amplitude and phase monthly?

Hi Rahele,

The way to add open boundary forcing in the MITgcm is with `pkg/obcs` or
`pkg/rbcs` (maybe others?)

`pkg/obcs` has forcing of tidal velocities normal to the open boundary,
implemnted in `pkg/obcs/obcs_add_tides.F`.  You can get this to work by
specifying in `data.obcs` appropriate names for `OBNAmFile` and
`OBNphFile`.  Look at `pkg/obcs/obcs_readparms.F` for all the possible
parameters you can read into the `pkg/obcs`, and read the source code to
`pkg/obcs/obcs_add_tides.F` to see how it works.

As implemented, `pkg/obcs/obcs_add_tides.F` doesn’t modify the sea
surface height at the boundary.  However, `pkg/obcs` does allow
seasurface height to be specified at the boundary (i.e. see
`OBNetaFile`, etc). So it seems a somewhat trivial task to write
`obcs_add_tideheights.F` and have new parameters `OBNamEtaFile` etc that
control the sea-surface height if you prefer that to specifying via the
`OBNetaFile`.

I think this is all possible w/ `pkg/obcs`, though I admit I’m not
sure if `rbcs` can force the sea surface.  I think not, though I could
be misremembering.

I hope that gets you started.

Cheers,   Jody