[MITgcm-support] surface treatment and resolutiondependentinstability?

钱钰坤 qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn
Thu Apr 27 21:54:45 EDT 2017

Hi Jody,

First of all, thanks for your JGR reference.

Have you tried the combination of rigidLid=.FALSE. with implicitFreeSurface=.FALSE., or combination of rigidLid=.TRUE. with implicitFreeSurface=.TRUE., if they indeed have any sense.

To my opinion, if rigidLid is turn on, 'free surface' option, whether explicit or implicit, seems meaningless as there should be no free surface (eta is zero all the time or at least do not change with time).  I find it a little hard to interpret the rigidLid equation set in the manual (eq. 2.5-2.7), as there is also an eta variable involved.

I remember that implicit numerical schemes (no more details in my head) generally have relaxed CFL requirement or are even unconditional stable as compared to those explicit schemes.  Maybe you can try the above combinations and see what happen then, if those combinations are allowed by the model (although coarsening the resolution only will not vialate the CFL-like stability requirement).

------------------
 Best regards

Yu-Kun Qian (钱钰坤)
Center for Monsoon and Environment Research
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences
School of Environmental Science and Engineering
 Sun Yat-sen University
No. 135 Xingang West Road, Haizhu District
Guangzhou, 510275, P.R. China
Tel; 020-84115227
Email: qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn