[MITgcm-support] Tracmass for MITgcm

Andrea Cimatoribus andrea.cimatoribus at epfl.ch
Fri Apr 21 03:19:23 EDT 2017

Dear all,
as a follow up to my previous messages, and given the relatively strong
interest in the topic I see lately, I thought I should somehow
"advertise" the work I am doing on the tracmass code
(http://tracmass.org/) by Döös et al.

I am working on a fork of the original code, here:

https://github.com/sambarluc/tracmass

(sooner or later it will have to be moved to a new repo on the
institutional git server, but for now it's there)

I maintained the same numerical core, and focused on:
- enabling a more straightforward use of the MITgcm cartesian and
curvilinear grids (done and relatively well tested on my MITgmc results)
- simplifying the treatment of the time axis (I basically removed all
calendar functionality, since I found it overly complicated for my needs
and error prone, I am planning to deal with that via python, but haven't
written anything yet)
- providing netcdf output (works nicely, with minimal overhead)
- adding a python interface to run the code and load the results (works,
but not yet well tested and far from complete in terms of running
tracmass from python)

I want to stress that the code is still mostly the original by Döös et
al. Still, I think it can provide some advantages to MITgcm and python
users now. I should also stress that only parts of it have been tested.
For instance, I never used any of the turbulence parameterizations - and
doubt I will ever -, the "analytical time stepping" works ok only for 2D
advection, for 3D I think numerical errors are an issue but did not
investigate any further. In any case, since I am approaching the stage
at which "it works fine for what I need now," I thought it was good to
share with the world. Maybe others are interested, are willing to test,
find bugs, contribute, etc.

Best, Andrea

--
Andrea Cimatoribus