[MITgcm-support] error while writing pickup files with Cray compilers

Laura Cimoli laura.cimoli at physics.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 11 13:54:56 EDT 2017

Hello,

this question is relevant mainly for Archer user, but of course any help is appreciated!

I have recently tried to use Cray instead of gnu compilers, since the model should run much faster according to what stated here<http://www.archer.ac.uk/community/eCSE/eCSE03-09/eCSE03-09_White_Paper.pdf>. I have to admit I have not read that report in detail, but I hope that there are not particular constraints on the use of Cray compilers on Archer.

I used the linux_ia64_cray_archer optfile, as indicated in the report.

At a first glance, the model is compiled without any odd warning, and seems to run without any problem, but it crashes when writing the pickup file. This is the message I got (the whole error file is attached):

lib-5058 : UNRECOVERABLE library error

A read system call read less data than expected.

Encountered during a direct access unformatted WRITE to unit 9

Fortran unit 9 is connected to a direct unformatted unblocked file:

"pickup.0001752000.data"

_pmiu_daemon(SIGCHLD): [NID 02940] [c7-1c0s15n0] [Tue Apr 11 08:49:37 2017] PE RANK 69 exit signal Aborted

[NID 02940] 2017-04-11 08:49:37 Apid 26123498: initiated application termination

I am writing the permanent pickup file, and I don't have any temporary pickup file.

The only weird warning I have noticed in the genmake.log file (attached) is below, but I don't know whether it is related to the problem reported above:

running: check_HAVE_SIGREG()

cc -c genmake_tc_1.c

CC-513 craycc: WARNING File = genmake_tc_1.c, Line = 22

A value of type "void *" cannot be assigned to an entity of type

"void (*)(int, siginfo_t *, void *)".

s.sa_sigaction = (void *)killhandler;

^

Total warnings detected in genmake_tc_1.c: 1

program hello

integer anint

common /iv/ anint

external sigreg

call sigreg(anint)

end

ftn -o genmake_tc genmake_tc_2.f genmake_tc_1.o

--> set HAVE_SIGREG='t'

Does anyone know why the Cray compilers return this error while writing the output binary file?

Many thanks,

Laura