[MITgcm-support] how to compute water flow through ocean sections with gmredi / kpp ?

gael forget gforget at mit.edu
Tue Apr 11 12:38:58 EDT 2017

Hi Alexandre,

regarding methods to avoid interpolation in computing transports, please refer to earlier email (http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2017-March/010943.html) pointing to the grid-independent "broken lines” approach as implemented in gcmfaces.

Regarding the GM / bolus velocity contribution you are correct — it can induce an overturn component through any section. To demonstrate how one computes this contribution from GM_PsiX, GM_PsiY model output I just added a call to gcmfaces_calc/calc_bolus.m in, previously mentioned, example_transport.m

Like the rest of gcmfaces, calc_bolus.m is designed to work with all MITgcm grids so that you should be able to use it without any alteration.

Hope this helps,
Gael

ps: to demo these computations it should suffice to download the up to date gcmfaces code (from cvs or github) and model output from ECCO v4 r2 (nctiles_grid and nctiles_climatology) as explained in section 1 of the gcmfaces documentation (https://github.com/gaelforget/gcmfaces/blob/master/gcmfaces.pdf or http://wwwcvs.mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/gael/matlab_class/gcmfaces.pdf?view=co) and then follow directions provided by `help example_transports'