[MITgcm-support] how to compute water flow through ocean sections with gmredi / kpp ?

David Ferreira dfer at mit.edu
Sat Apr 8 17:24:59 EDT 2017

Hi Alexandre,
KPP does not contribute to the water (volume) flux through a section, KPP only includes vertical fluxes.
GMredi does not either. Redi only acts on tracers (other than density). GM has a zero net contribution because the streamfunction is zero at top and bottom.
If you care about meridional transport, the net flux is given by the Eulerian overturning streamfucntion, the value at the very top is not quite zero and equals the net transport (assuming the streamfunction was computed by integrating from bottom up).

Last remark, the interpolated/rotated velocities are not appropriate to compute the net flux, it is very inaccurate. The computation must to be done on the native grid.

cheers,
david