[MITgcm-support] ptracer and default boundary conditions

Daniel Goldberg dngoldberg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 16:57:26 EDT 2017

Hello Jody

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 8:50 PM, Jody Klymak <jklymak at uvic.ca> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> I’ve not used ptracers before. But depending on your flow, I think it
> might be hard to get d(u C)/dx = 0

as i understood it, this is what matt said would happen by default (matt
said it is Neumann by default). this would cause the domain to fill up with
the tracer over time, as there is an internal source. i do not want this!!!!

in a simulation with OBCS prescribing e.g. salt and velocities, outgoing
velocity will remove salt from the domain. this is what i want. from what
matt said, i need to specify OBCS files for the tracer as i would for salt,
and set them uniformly to zero. i have done this, and will see if it works..

thanks
dan

em: D <dgoldber at mit.edu>an.Goldberg at ed.ac.uk
web: http://ocean.mit.edu/~dgoldberg