[MITgcm-support] optimization: lapack? flags?

Andrea Cimatoribus andrea.cimatoribus at epfl.ch
Wed Apr 5 08:42:18 EDT 2017

Dear all,
I am starting to do some more ambitious simulations, in terms of
computational effort, and it is thus time for me to optimize the
compilation a bit. I know it is mostly a matter of trial and error with
compiler options, but I would like to ask you if you have some
suggestion on two specific points:

- Is it possible to compile using gfortran and use intel MKL? My
genmake2 now reports that it is compiling without LAPACK. I tried to
link to the Intel MKL I have on my machine (while still using gfortran,
we don't have intel compilers for the moment), but without much success.
Is anyone actually using LAPACK? Does it make a difference? I could find
hardly anything in the archives.
- Apart from the "classical" useSingleCpuIO and globalFiles, is there
any other runtime flag which has a significant impact on execution time
(but does not affect the results)?

Thank you very much, Andrea

--
Andrea Cimatoribus