[MITgcm-support] sea ice diagnostics

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at mit.edu
Wed Sep 14 13:47:39 EDT 2016

The online manual is (at least slightly) better than its reputation:

http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node268.html

;)
p.

> On Sep 14, 2016, at 12:34 PM, Menemenlis, Dimitris (329C) <Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
> The “secret” codes are defined in
> MITgcm/pkg/diagnostics/diagnostics_init_early.F
> and diagnostics_main_init.F
>
> As of checkpoint65y (2016/07/29), these codes are:
> C     \begin{center}
> C       \begin{tabular}[h]{|c|c|}\hline
> C         \textbf{Positions}  &  \textbf{Characters}
> C         &  \textbf{Meanings} \\\hline
> C         parse(1)  &  S  &  scalar \\
> C                   &  U  &  vector component in X direction \\
> C                   &  V  &  vector component in Y direction \\
> C                   &  W  &  vector component in vertical direction \\
> C         parse(2)  &  U  &  C-grid U-Point  \\
> C                   &  V  &  C-grid V-Point  \\
> C                   &  M  &  C-grid Mass Point  \\
> C                   &  Z  &  C-grid Corner Point  \\
> C         parse(3)  &     &  Used for Level Integrated output: cumulate levels \\
> C                   &  r  &  same but cumulate product by model level thickness \\
> C                   &  R  &  same but cumulate product by hFac & level thickness \\
> C         parse(4)  &  P  &  positive definite  \\
> C         parse(5 ) &  C  &  with counter array  \\
> C                   &  P  &  post-processed (not filled up) from other diags  \\
> C                   &  D  &  disable an array for output  \\
> C         parse(6--8) & '123'  &  retired, formerly: 3-digit mate number \\
> C         parse(9)  &  U  &  model-level plus 1/2  \\
> C                   &  M  &  model-level middle  \\
> C                   &  L  &  model-level minus 1/2  \\
> C         parse(10) &  0  &  levels = 0  \\
> C                   &  1  &  levels = 1  \\
> C                   &  R  &  levels = Nr  \\
> C                   &  L  &  levels = MAX(Nr,NrPhys)  \\
> C                   &  M  &  levels = MAX(Nr,NrPhys) - 1  \\
> C                   &  G  &  levels = Ground_level Number \\
> C                   &  I  &  levels = sea-Ice_level Number \\
> C                   &  X  &  free levels option (need to be set explicitly) \\
> C       \end{tabular}
> C     \end{center}
>
>> On Sep 13, 2016, at 10:27 PM, Martin Losch <Martin.Losch at awi.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gregory,
>>
>> the diagnostics package prints an “available_diagnostics.log” into the run directory. That should have some “secret” code that tells you where individual variables are stored (given that that has been properly specified at the “init” step); somewhere (online-documentation) you can find what the secret code means. So expect some of the variables on C-points on U and V points. Usually the diagnostics are not averaged between grid points before output.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>>> On 13 Sep 2016, at 02:27, Georgy Manucharayan <gmanuch at caltech.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Martin,

> [...]

Patrick Heimbach, Ph.D. | http://heimbach.wordpress.com

* The University of Texas at Austin *
The Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences
Institute for Geophysics | Jackson School of Geosciences
201 East 24th Street, POB 4.232 | Austin, TX 78712 | USA
FON: +1-512-232-7694 | Email: heimbach at utexas.edu

* Massachusetts Institute of Technology *
Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences
77 Massachusetts Ave, 54-1420 | Cambridge MA 02139 | USA
FON: +1-617-253-5259 | Email: heimbach at mit.edu