[MITgcm-support] High-resolution Atlantic nested in ECCOv4?

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at mit.edu
Wed Sep 14 13:43:17 EDT 2016

Hi Christopher,

we (An Nguyen, myself, colleagues) are currently setting up two related efforts at UT, one involving the Arctic, one the Atlantic (some pro's and con's to doing those combined or separately that can be discussed).

-Patrick

> On Sep 14, 2016, at 12:38 PM, Christopher Pitt Wolfe <c.l.p.wolfe at icloud.com> wrote:
>
> Hi MITgcmers:
>
> Has anyone tried nesting a high-resolution Atlantic Ocean (say the 1/12 degree LLC 1080 grid) in ECCOv4? By nesting, I mean running the higher resolution model with ECCOv4 optimized forcing and boundary values supplied by the state estimate. If not, would anyone be interested in such a thing? I’d like to run some experiments with this sort of configuration, but I don’t want to duplicate anyone else’s work.
>
> I recall Annegret Krandick asking about running the ASTE configuration using the LLC 1080 grid a couple of years ago, but I’m not sure what came if it.
>
> Thanks!
> Christopher

Patrick Heimbach, Ph.D. | http://heimbach.wordpress.com

* The University of Texas at Austin *
The Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences
Institute for Geophysics | Jackson School of Geosciences
201 East 24th Street, POB 4.232 | Austin, TX 78712 | USA
FON: +1-512-232-7694 | Email: heimbach at utexas.edu

* Massachusetts Institute of Technology *
Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences
77 Massachusetts Ave, 54-1420 | Cambridge MA 02139 | USA
FON: +1-617-253-5259 | Email: heimbach at mit.edu