[MITgcm-support] Help.. Install MITgcm on Mac OS

Dimitris Menemenlis dmenemenlis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 18:03:25 EDT 2016

Hi Saeid, lots of ways to install on Mac OS-X.

Last time I installed natively (November 2015 on El Capitan)
I had to get cvs (not 100% needed, but useful if you like to get updates)
gfortran, and xcode.  So instructions are:

- put cvs in /usr/local/bin from:
  http://jwooten37830.com/blog/?p=325
  http://jwooten37830.com/usr_4.2.zip

# Install gfortran 5.2
# https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries
# http://coudert.name/software/gfortran-5.2-Yosemite.dmg

# Install Xcode from App Store
xcode-select --install

# Now you can use cvs to get code and run one of the verification experiments.
# Instructions below assume you use sh or bash:
export CVSROOT=':pserver:cvsanon at mitgcm.org:/u/gcmpack'
cvs login # enter the CVS password: "cvsanon"
cvs co MITgcm_code
cvs co MITgcm/verification/testreport
cvs co MITgcm/verification/tutorial_held_suarez_cs
cvs co MITgcm/verification/global_ocean.cs32x15
cd MITgcm/verification
./testreport -j 4 -t global_ocean.cs32x15

More recently, I was introduced to the wonderful world of virtual machines by one of the MIT czars.
In case you want to go the virtual machine route, here is instructions for a *buntu installation:

# Set up a Lubuntu 16.04 virtual machine under VirtualBox
#   Get VirtualBox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
#   Get lubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu
#   Start VirtualBox and set-up virtual machine
#     New
#       Name: lubuntu-16.04
#       Type: Linux
#       Version: Ubuntu (64-bit)
#       Memory size: 2048 MB
#       Create a virtual hard disk now
#       Hard disk file type: VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image)
#       Storage on physical hard disk: Fixed size
#       File location and size: 16.00 GB
#     Settings
#       General
#           Shared Clipboard: Bidirectional
#           Drag'n'Drop: Bidirectional
#       System/Processor
#         Processors: 4 CPUs
#         Execution Cap: 100%
#       Storage
#         Controller: IDE (click on circle with green plus)
#         Choose disk: Downloads/lubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
#     Start

# Install Lubuntu 16.04
#   Download Updates; Install third-party software
#   Erase disk and install Lubuntu
#   Your name: WHATEVER
#   Password: WHATEVER

# Packages needed for VirtualBox to run smoothly
sudo apt install virtualbox-guest-dkms
sudo adduser heracles vboxsf
sudo reboot

# Extra packages needed to get and run MITgcm
sudo apt install cvs
sudo apt install gfortran
sudo apt install libopenmpi-dev # needed for parallel run of MITgcm

# Next you can load and run MITgcm, e.g.,
export CVSROOT=':pserver:cvsanon at mitgcm.org:/u/gcmpack'
cvs login # enter the CVS password: "cvsanon"
cvs co MITgcm_code
cvs co MITgcm/verification/testreport
cvs co MITgcm/verification/tutorial_held_suarez_cs
cvs co MITgcm/verification/global_ocean.cs32x15
cd MITgcm/verification
./testreport -j 4 -t global_ocean.cs32x15
./testreport -j 4 -mpi -t global_ocean.cs32x15